Saturday, January 10, 2015

My LDR

I had mentioned on twitter sometime last month that I would try to blog more. Apparently, I lied. But here's a new one I'm busting out today because I have absolutely nothing to do at work. I asked my followers what they'd like to see me write about. There were a few of the same suggestions so that's what I'll talk about today: my long distance relationship.

The day David followed me on twitter was a seemingly unimportant day. His first tweet to me was an answer to a question I had about my xbox. Still fairly unimportant but helpful. We didn't speak at all and I only admired him from afar with his few and sporadic tweets. He added me on xbox live and joined my party during a game of Black Ops 2. The first time I heard him speak, my heart stopped and raced a million miles an hour all at once. It was the sweetest voice I’d ever heard. We had a wonderful evening together, although it happened to be~500 miles away from each other. I’d never connected with someone so quickly and easily. I knew it was the start of something great…and it was. We were talking one day and he asked if he could come and see me. At first I was like ‘whoa, guy, you’re on twitter, how do I even know you’re not a killer?’ Luckily for me, he’s definitely not. Letting him come to see me was the first best decision I’ve made. We had a wonderful time together…and all the times after that. I’ve never felt so happy, so alive.

On August 1, 2014, he asked me to marry him. Of course, I said yes. I’ve never loved anyone so much as I love this man. We’ve had tough times, especially lately. The distance hurts. It often leaves me feeling pessimistic. But you know what? I’ll love this man until the day I die…and then I’m gonna keep loving him. I make it a point to tell him every single day. I don’t have to say it though, he knows. I’m gonna marry him. How could I not? He’s my rock and I am so thankful he is there for me. In my past, I've been put down, beaten, bruised, damn near dead. David does nothing but lift me up, support me, and love me. I couldn’t ask for anything better.

I noticed that a lot of people loved my engagement ring. I also noticed a few that had something to say in regards to how much it cost. I have never been a materialistic person. I don't like to spend a lot of money and I certainly don't like people spending a lot on me. I found my ring myself, told David I liked it, he proposed a few weeks later. Was it $5000? Absolutely not. Less than $200? Sure was. Do I care? I definitely don't. I told him if he ever decided to propose to me, the ring had better not be expensive. Know why? Because that's useless. Even if my ring had cost $50, I would still be incredibly happy. Why? Because I love David. He's my best friend, my partner, my future husband. Something like that from the right person who loves you more than anything in the world? You can't even put a price on that. I am not a woman who expects her man to buy her expensive things. I don't even like it when he pays for my dinner! All I want is happiness, a long life together, and love forever with him. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

ANYWAY. The long distance bit. God...it's so difficult. All I want to do at the end of the day is come home, hug him, give him a kiss, hold his hand. I want to lay next to him and fall asleep...but I can't. Starting out, we wouldn't see each other for months (6 months was the most we've ever gone) and some days I just felt like quitting. If you've never been long distance with someone, you should count your blessings (for lack of a better term). It's easily the most difficult thing I've ever done. Some days it gets easier but after spending a week together and waking up next to each other every day then going back home and not seeing him...it's the worst. 

People have tried to bring us down, tear us apart, do whatever they could to ruin us. Let's not pretend that mine and David's relationship has been the best. It hasn't. We have plenty of arguments that are small but we've have plenty of full-out anger matches (99% is me). I'm definitely not going to go into detail, but let's just say that the problems have been removed.

So here we are: 2015. After almost 2 years, we'll be closing the gap of ~500 miles between us. This is our year. This is the year the rest of my life begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment